What is the availability of healthy and unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages in communities and within retail outlets?
Retail food environments are increasingly considered influential in determining dietary behaviours and health outcomes.
INFORMAS propose a step-wise framework to monitor and benchmark community and consumer retail food environments that can be used to assess:
- Density of healthy and unhealthy food outlets
- Measure proximity of healthy and unhealthy food outlets to homes/schools
- Evaluate availability of healthy and unhealthy foods in-store
- Compare food environments over time and between regions and countries
- Evaluate compliance with local policies, guidelines or voluntary codes of practice
- And determine the impact of changes to retail food environments on health outcomes, such as obesity.
Nutrition Research at the National Institute for Health Innovation
The University of Auckland
Email: Professor Cliona Ni Mhurchu
Monitoring the availability of healthy and unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages in community and consumer retail food environments globally (pages 108–119) C. Ni Mhurchu, S. Vandevijvere, W. Waterlander, L. E. Thornton, B. Kelly, A. J. Cameron, W. Snowdon, B. Swinburn and INFORMAS
Read the INFORMAS paper online here
Below are the INFORMAS protocols to download. Some protocols are still under development – contact us if you would like more information. Please read the terms and agreements (add as link) regarding the use of the protocols, and inform us if you are using and/or adapting the protocol.
You may use, modify and reproduce the protocol, but the work that results from using the INFORMAS resources remains available to the INFORMAS group and falls under the same copyleft principles as the original protocol (i.e., you can’t claim copyright on protocols you develop based on INFORMAS resources).
You don’t have to share the whole work that results from using the INFORMAS resources, but are expected to share:
- Any modifications or updates you make to the protocol (e.g., updates for your own country)
- The final (cleaned) data as collected using the protocol.